- Position – Residence Worker – Senior – Night Shift (2200)
- Location – Amalgamated Shelter (Vernon)
- Title/Grid Level – Residence Worker Senior/12
- Hours per week – 32
- Salary range – $24.48 – $28.52
- Shift Schedule – Friday to Monday– 11pm – 7am (subject to change)
- This position requires union membership
Closing date: June 25th, 2021 – 4pm, PDT
Nature of Position:
The Residential Worker-Senior (RWS) reports to the Site Manager and works in accordance to the mission and philosophy of Turning Points Collaborative Society. RWS’s are direct service staff working within a 24-hour, 7 days a week supportive housing or emergency shelter environment with adults struggling with a variety of issues including homelessness, substance use and mental health and may oversee the operation of the residence during the night shift in the absence of the supervisor or as directed. They provide intakes, orientations and support for clients and residents and connect with public service agencies relevant to the needs of these individuals without discrimination. RWS’s ensure that clients’ physical, emotional, social, medical needs are met and provide a welcoming, safe and secure environment while enhancing quality of life through activities of daily living and the development of life skills.
Job Duties (in brief):
- Assists the supervisor in providing orientation, training, work direction and guidance to
- residence workers by performing duties such as clarifying program policies, reviewing
- work, and scheduling residence workers.
- Recognizes, analyzes and deals with potential emergency situations such as clients’
- aggressive behaviour to ensure no harm comes to the client and/or the public. Reports
- problems to the supervisor.
- Has the responsibility and expectation of decision making in the absence of a site manager or Program Coordinator.
- Works in conjunction with staff at other sites to assist with decision making in the absence of a site manager or Program Coordinator.
- Provide support, supervision and assistance to homeless adults who may be facing multiple barriers.
- Refer residents to a variety of community services.
- Interview and provide necessities; ensuring a safe and supportive environment for all.
- Complete required records and maintain statistical data.
- Job duties are complex and may have a few disagreeable factors.
- Assist with meal services.
- Maintain cleanliness of the site by completing daily shift duties as required.
Qualifications, Competencies & Experience:
- Diploma in human or social services
- Minimum Grade 12
- Two (2) years recent related experience. Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Occupational First Aid Level 1 & Basic CPR certification
- Food Safe certification
- Managing Hostile Interactions, Mental Health First Aid, Naloxone, Trauma Informed training is an asset.
- Providing direct human services to clients who are economically disadvantaged, experiencing mental health challenges, and/or drug/alcohol dependence in a diverse environment.
- Familiarity with community resources; such as addiction, mental health, income assistance, and harm reduction.
- Understands and maintains clientele/worker boundaries.
- Supervision and monitoring of clients in a residential setting.
- Understanding of the issues surrounding homelessness, unemployment, mental health, drug and alcohol dependence and harm reduction.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise, monitor, and support clients.
- Ability to work independently or in a team setting.
- Strong ability to manage stress and organize workload.
- Strong physical and mental ability to perform work task and operate job related equipment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, organizational skills and the ability to maintain detailed and accurate records.
- Criminal Record Clearance-Vulnerable Sector-required.
Instructions for submitting your application:
- Clearly refer to the job posting title in the subject line of your e-mail and in your cover letter.
- Submit a resume and a cover letter that explains how your education, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities fit with the requirements for the position.
- Include the names of three professional references. References will not be contacted without prior approval from the applicant.
Please submit your application to Lisa Church, Director of Human Resources, at email@example.com